After dinner I craved so badly a warm chocolate cake then I recalled having once tried a fuss-free recipe that granted near instant gratification! Chocolate mug cake.
My second attempt at this microwave mug cake turned out wayyy better than the first. In contrast to the steamed-cake texture of my first try, this one resulted in a perfect and moist cake-like consistency. *Note – Best consumed fresh. I refrigerated it for 2hours and warmed it up beside a bowl of water in the microwave for 1min – texture was not as soft as before.
Tweaked a little bit of the original recipe I found and used the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (*note: use less next time or substitute with butter as smell of canola oil was strongly present before & after microwaving)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1. Place all the dry ingredients in the mug and mix with a fork. (i used a large mug and the batter rose to fit it perfectly)
2. Break an egg into the mug and combine well. Then stir in milk, oil and vanilla extract.
3. Add chocolate chips and mix well.
4. The recipe said to microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000 watt, or 4 minutes in a 700 watt microwave. I used an 850 watt microwave so I estimated 3 minutes 30 seconds and it worked. *Place a plate/saucer beneath the mug when microwaving if unsure of spillage.
5. Topped the cake with Baskin Robbin’s tiramisu ice cream. Tasted like heaven!
~Until next time! (
A good read. Some early advice for us newlyweds.
Today I decided to try to use up the carton of buttermilk which had been abandoned since cinnamon roll baking day, did some research and found a decent scone recipe to work on. I made a few tweaks to the recipe according to the availability of ingredients I had and with crossed-fingers, slid them into the oven. And shortly after…. out popped these sweet smelling (I swear the smell of baking chocolate became almost unbearable) chocolate chunk scones! The extra 1/4 cup of chocolate I added created the perfect balance of choc to scone. Although I’m not sure how that would pan out had I used chocolate chips instead. Whatever the case, a lil extra chocolate never hurts (: